Global Support Mission

Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Musings on a River

As I sit beside the river in a secluded part of a wilderness area, I realize my soul is out of breath and that I needed to come here, to a place where God is so obvious so magnificent and yet so peaceful. It is here that I catch my breath. It is here that I can find my center again focusing on something bigger than the daily business of life that gradually shuts me down. I wonder why I don’t do this more often?

But where do other people go to find space to experience the rhythm of time alone, of time for reflection, or to experience stillness? A lot of people in the world will never have the luxury of time. I never really realized it before but, time is a luxury. We in the western culture have that luxury if we want to take it. Time where we can catch our breath.

So where do other cultures catch their breath? Do they need to? Maybe their cultures aren’t as demanding as ours? Or maybe they are more so. In many cultures life and death, survival under unthinkable conditions is demanding all of their time. There is no reflection time or rest for their souls.

I think about the kids in other cultures mostly. The ones that have been lured, kidnapped and stolen into slavery of all kinds and are now trapped in a life with no hope. I want to help give them hope back. I want to see that they have the luxury of time, of peace, of safety. A time to restore their souls. I know I want to be a part of any group that helps these kids catch their breath and decide for themselves what to do with the musings they come away with after their souls have been filled.


Diane

2 Comments:

  • That is a beautiful post, Diane! Thank you.

    By Blogger Kim Carney, At 6:10 AM  

  • Diane,

    I love what you wrote - it is so true.

    I have defined my role in education and working with children anywhere as "helping them to have a voice". It is who I am. So many of the chldren I work with are ignored or taunted because they don't speak in the "normal" way as society expects and they have few rights about their own lives - it is my job to listen to them and make sure they are heard by the adults in their lives as best I can. Giving them space to be themselves and have an imagination - what a fantastic gift.

    By Blogger Merrilyn, At 10:09 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home